ReportsPro [was] Hypercard to Rev Question

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Jan 21 17:30:32 EST 2004

On Wednesday, January 21, 2004, at 02:32  PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

>Frank Leahy wrote:
>
>>Does anyone from RunRev read this list?  If so, I'm good friends with
>>the guy who bought the rights to Reports and ReportsPro and he would
>>LOVE to talk to someone at RunRev about making it work with Revolution.
>>Please reply directly to me and I'll pass on your info to him.
>
>I believe RunRev folks check this list as time permits, but on this specific
>issue you're coming in late:
>
>When this was suggested here several months ago, after discussing all the
>parameters it became clear that the cost of porting the Mac-68k-specific
>ReportsPro code to the 12 platforms Rev supports with all the necessary
>sources (stacks or databases) would far exceed the cost of writing such an
>engine natively in Transcript.
>
>There's been talk of one of the list members working on a reporting tool in
>Rev, so hopefully there will be something for us soon.
>
>--
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Media Corporation
>  Ambassador at FourthWorld.com       http://www.FourthWorld.com

I see no problem with owners of the code checking into porting, even
if it means that (at least initially) they work on Mac only.
Developing sth equivalent to ReportsPro will take time and effort. I
suspect that the main issue is that Reports' externals are of type 2
not 1, so it may be possible to move the type 2 stuff into a control
stack. But I am like a blind man talking about colors :)

Robert