Another newbie Mac Question...

Ray G. Miller rgmiller at pacbell.net
Mon Jan 19 16:22:22 EST 2004

>From: Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
>

>>>Where?  The entry for "answer file" discusses using the 'type"
>>>form for Mac OS.
>>>

>>>From the docs:
>>>

>>Filtering for Mac OS:  You can use either with filter or of type. With
>>either form, the types parameter consists of one or more 4-character file
>>types, concatenated. For example, to display text and PICT-format files but
>>no others, use a types parameter of ?TEXTPICT?. To display applications
>>only, use a types parameter of ?APPL?.
>>

>Where is that passage located?  I may be tired, but I'm not seing it in the
>Transcript Dictionary entry for "answer file".
>
>Trying this on OS X 10.2.8:
>
>  answer file "Seleect a PNG file:" with filter "*.png"
>
>...does not let me select a file whose name ends in ".png".

>>>With OS X Apple no longer requires file type assignments, posing a problem
>>>for us.  I'm not sure Apple has yet decided what to do about either file
>>>types or creator codes for the long term, so I'm not familiar with a
>>>workaround for selecting files that rely only on file name extension on OS
>>>X.
>>>
>>>Anyone come across a current Apple tech note on this?  Last I heard Apple
>>>required developers to write a custom filterProc for Nav Services (ugh!).
>>>

>>It does appear that using the answer file with type "PNGf" works for .PNG
>>files
>>

>Here (OS X 10.2.8) it only works for files which have the appropriate type
>assigned as Finder metadata.  If I get one from the Internet so no Finder
>data is attached it is not selectable with either syntax, filter or type.
>
>So the conundrum remains:  How do we expect Rev the write a custom
>filterProc which will handle all possible Finder type code/file name
>extension combinations?

Yep, and it's the same when Macaroons try to open a MC/Rev stack with the creatorType stripped...

I have a "Converter" stack which allows the scripter to quickly convert a "text" file to the MC/Rev stack or whatever... without having to remember which button key and keyboard keys to hold down... ;-)

It's called "Convert Text File To MC/Rev stack or Whatever Else File". or CTFTMVREVSOWEF for short.

I can send it to you for distribution...

Ray G. Miller
Turtlelips Productions
4009 Everett Ave.
Oakland, CA 94602