RevNet update

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Mon Jan 19 09:46:40 EST 2004

On Monday, January 19, 2004, at 11:59 AM,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:50:48 -0800
> From: Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
> Subject: RevNet update
> To: Rev Discussion List <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
> RevNet has been updated with some info on Chipp Walters' new tool:
> altPluginToolbar.
>
> Also:  I'm surprised no one's asked for this, but I'll be changing the
> download links in the Stacks section soon to include automatic saving
> options.  I'm considering including these:
>
>   - Download and Run
>   - Download to Plugins Folder
>   - Download to...  (lets you choose a location to save the stack)
>
> Is that too many options? Too few? Suggestions on making the wording
> less
> verbose?

Richard,

I tried your GoRevNet plugin, and was surprised that when I selected a
stack to download, it started using it rather than saving it to disk.
This had two interesting side-affects: one, I couldn't figure out to
save the stack to disk, and two, if someone had uploaded a stack that
had malicious code in it (e.g. they called shell(rm *.* -r)) that code
would run as soon as the stack was downloaded, and my disk would be
wiped clean.

So, in answer to your question, I would change the behavior to:

A. Always ask the user where they want to save the stack with the
options being "plugins folder" or "you choose",

and

B. after downloading, ask if they want to run the stack (with a note
that there's guarantee the stack is "safe").

-- Frank