read socket until crlf question

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Jan 16 10:30:48 EST 2004

On Wednesday, January 14, 2004, at 09:35 PM, Doug Lerner wrote:

> If I
>
> read from socket thisSocket until CRLF
>
> and then look at the number of chars in it the number of chars is ONE
> plus
> the number of visible characters read. Why isn't it TWO plus the
> number of
> visible chararacters read - one for CR and one for LF?

Doug, it seems to me that, though you got plenty of "responses," you
didn't get an answer.

I usually do the line processing after receiving the data, so I usually
don't do it this way.  Maybe 'until' only matches on the first
character.  I don't get that impression from the TD (list jargon for
Transcript Dictionary), though.

If you are doing a repeat for each line or referring to 'line n of' you
will not get the LF.

The function below takes a string and converts it to hex.  You can use
it to dump your line in testing.  For example "abc" & crlf will be
translated to "6162630D0A".  Look for 0D for CR and 0A for LF.

function hex s
   get binaryDecode("H*",s,h)
   return h
end hex