RevConference - Client Server vs Stateless

Jerry Daniels mato.kola at wanblizaptan.com
Thu Jan 15 09:12:43 EST 2004

Chris,

Here are 12 reasons that I like/prefer N-Tier (client-web server/app
server-database) architecture:

1. The projects I work on almost always have web browsers and thin
client apps going against the data.

2. With a traditional N-Tier archictecture in place, either a browser
or my Rev app can talk to the web server and PHP (or a Rev CGI) which
talks to the database.

3. I make one PHP post and my data comes back to me in ticks formated
such that it describes itself with tags. Now I can put it on my Rev
window with a repeat loop.

4. Stateless thin client is easy and fast to deploy. Double click the
file, enter a URL (the first time) and you're off to the races. They
can easily update themselves as well.

5. I compete against well known and accepted web technologies with
Revolution. If I can use the same back end technology as IE, Mozilla or
Java, then the client is more willing to take a chance with me and
Revolution.

6. In web development circles it's considered "hard coding" to make SQL
calls from a client application. There is a clear market preference for
N-Tier here in Texas at the more technologically advanced companies and
institutions.

7. It's very easy to find web hosting services that already have
Apache, PHP and MySQL all set up.

8. I pay $7.95 a month for HUNDREDS of MBs and LAMP (Linux, Apache,
MySQL and PHP). No muss no fuss. Secure, backed up, etc.

9. The ubiquity of these types of web hosting services also makes it
easy to have a development, text and production environment for less
then $24 a month!

10. With N-Tier expertise, I can add myself on to a large web project
easily, because I can talk to web servers.

11. I believe that a lot of application work can be done with web
pages, but I also believe that admin modules where repetitive data
entry is required are best done as standalone thin clients made with
Rev.

12. Biggest reason: I'm a free-lance developer who has to sell himself.
N-Tier expertise keeps my hourly rate and demand for my services high.
I do this for money and fun. More money + more fun = good. (Or as the
Frankenstein monster would say: food good; fire bad!)

Hopefully, all that answers at least some of your questions. Let me
know if you have more.

Best,

Jerry