topLevel vs. open stack

David Squance squance at elkvalley.net
Wed Jan 14 17:47:16 EST 2004

>Dan Shafer wrote:
>
>> If I'm reading the docs correctly, topLevel should close a stack if
>> it's open and then re-open it in an editable window UNLESS it is
>> already open in an editable window, in which case it should merely make
>> it the current stack. But there appears to me to be some subtle
>> difference between sending "open" to a closed stack and sending
>> "topLevel" to a closed stack.

[Richard's reply:]

>  copy field 1 to stack "MyOtherStack"
>
>The advantage to the "copy..to" option is that it preserves the user's
>clipboard.
>
>> 2. Why does topLevel behave differently from open and from the way it
>> seems to be documented?
>
>Could the stack's style property be set?  If so then "open" will honor the
>style, while "toplevel" overrides the stack's style to open as toplevel
>(same with the "palette", "modeless", and "modal" commands).

What about "go"?  Where does it fit in?  I have a script which is hanging on
a clone command, but there's a lock screen before it.  Since the card which
is being cloned doesn't appear on the screen, does RR not know what to
clone?  Would it make any difference, in view of the lock screen, whether I
used open or toplevel?  The mode in each case should be editable.
Dave