Killing one annoying feature in RR...

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 09:21:22 EST 2004

--- xbury.cs at clearstream.com wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> While pounding on how to replace the script editor
> in RR, I found the
> trick to remove
> the most annoying feature in RR which is the
> uncontroled control-Alt or
> (Control-Option on macs)
> which invokes the script editor...
>
> How many times have you edited a script of an object
> unwilingly while
> holding control-Alt?
>
> 99.999% of the other IDEs and editors I've used use
> a CLICK to edit
> something!
>
> To fix this most annoying feature, you need to edit
> the frontscript button
> "RevFrontScript"
> (double click it from the message box after showing
> the frontscripts.
>
> Go to the bottom of the script,
> look for the line "edit script of the mouseControl"
> at the end of the handler revScriptEdit
> Just add "If the mouse is down then" before the
> "edit script of the
> mouseControl"
>
> Voila...
> Now it still doesn't respond instantaneously because
> of the
>    <<send "revScriptEdit" to me in 500
> milliseconds>> above...
>
> Be my guest to replace that too!
> Changes are done at your own risk naturally! ;)
> But it works like HyperCard again...
>
> Whoever thought of that feature deserves a cream
> pie! ;)
>
> Cheers to rescripting the revolution
> Xavier

Hi Xavier,

Not to trounce your enthusiasm or anything, but you
can turn off that control-alt behaviour in the General
section of the Preferences.
It's one of the first things I turn off when I install
a new version. On the other hand, if you want it to
work only when clicked, your change to the frontscript
is indeed the solution.

Jan Schenkel.

=====