XP GIF display oddities

DVGlasgow at aol.com DVGlasgow at aol.com
Sun Jan 11 13:51:09 EST 2004

In a message dated 7/1/04 8:43:14 PM, Chipp Walters writes:

>1) I doubt the compatibility wizard creates *any* envrironment variables
>(course, I could be wrong, but this is the *first* I've ever heard of this.

Thanks Chipp,  and I will certainly try your advice.  However, from playing
around with the Wizard and the following (from Microsoft support <A
HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/suppo
rt/kb/articles/Q301/9/11.ASP&NoWebContent=1">here</A>) it *does* seem that
the Wizard tries settings and then if you indicate the problem is resolved, it
remembers the settings and these are automatically applied to your standalone
on launch.  As far as I can tell, you aren't informed what has been changed.

>This article describes how to use the Program Compatibility Wizard. The
Program Compatibility Wizard prompts you to test your program in different modes >
(environments) and with various settings.
>For example, if the program was originally designed to run on Microsoft
Windows 95, set the Compatibility Mode to Windows 95, and then try to run your
program >again. If this is successful, the program will start in that mode each
time.
>The wizard also allows you to try different settings, such as switching the
display to 256 colors and the screen resolution to 640 by 480 pixels.
>Most programs run properly on Windows XP. The exceptions are some older
games and other programs that were written specifically for an earlier version of >
Windows.
>If you are experiencing problems with a program that worked correctly on an
earlier version of Windows, this wizard helps you select and test
compatibility >settings that may fix those problems. Many of the most common issues that
prohibit earlier versions of programs from working correctly are resolved. If
you run >a program and it does not function as expected, it is recommended that
you run the program in one of the compatibility environments.

They are somewhat grandly called "compatibility environments", but actually,
the only things that are changed are colour depth, screen resolution and
visual themes may be disabled.  The confusing thing is that your colour settings
could be OK, but then get messed up when you launch and presumably are reset
when you quit.

I am going to have another wrestle with it this week to find out how to stop
it interfering if a user has unwisely let it believe that the standalone needs
a particular "compatibility environment".

Best wishes,

David Glasgow

Forensic Psychology Software and Services <A
HREF="http://members.aol.com/dvglasgow/i-psych/i_Psych.htm">i-Psych</A>