Best place for common script

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Sat Jan 10 16:50:12 EST 2004

On Jan 10, 2004, at 6:24 PM, Robert J. Earp wrote:

> Hello all, greetings from Vancouver where the skiing is fantastic this
> year.
>
> Over the years I've scripted a whole mess of sub-routines/
> functions/tools etc. , most recently in ToolBook, where I've used
> their System Books feature.
>
> For those of you that have never used ToolBook, they use the term Book
> the same as Rev uses Stack, and System Books are just regular ToolBook
> files (Books) with a .sbk extension, but with the ability to be
> dynamically linked with a project Book.  This means that they are
> automatically in the message path hierarchy, above the project book
> (the main stack), and below the engine (ToolBook interpreter itself).
>
> The great thing about this is that you can just fire off a message to
> a handler/function located in a .sbk and it gets trapped, acted upon
> and replied to as appropriate.
>
> You also have the added feature of being able to have more than System
> Book with one for, say, a CBT navigation schema, and one with some
> development tools.  On the fly you can link or unlink these books so
> its easy to deliver a project with the features of one System Book and
> automatically the other.
>
> My question is quite basic, but one that I suspect will draw a
> plethora of different opinions.  Given the concept above and, to my
> knowledge Rev does not support such a concept, where is the best place
> to put "System Book" functionality ?  Main stack, sub stack?  At what
> level ?  Can you link stacks so that they are at a specific level of
> the message hierarchy ?

	Well Bob,

	First, skiing must be fantastic, I live in Rio de Janeiro, so no snow
here, but I've got summer, friends and caipirinha so I think I am as
happy as you!

	I think you want to implement some script library thing. Also I
understood that this script library need not be dynamic in the sense
that you need not to plug/unplug it at runtime but only at the
compilation/building step. I am no revGuru but I made a solution here
that is not elegant but suits me.

	First check documentation for "Start using" (aka Library) this is a
func that will place some stack script in the message path just between
your stack and the backscripts. So the trick is:
	* Put all your scripts in some cool stack, here I use "Soap Dog
Studios MiddleScripts".
	*  Write yourself a plugin, it's idiot, this plugin open a listbox and
fills it with all the MainStacks opened. By doubleclicking a stack this
plugin does a:
		put "start using " & quote & "Soap Dog MiddleScripts" & quote before
the script of the clicked stack (look this is not the code, this is the
idea)

	This way, you go coding... when you need to attach you lib, you just
fire your plugin and attach that function (also note that sometimes
it's faster to type library "bla bla bla" than actualy lauching and
clicking a plugin, but the plugin is cooler.)

	Cheers
Andre