problems pasting text into the IDE (mac os x)

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Fri Jan 9 22:59:31 EST 2004

I work in MS Excel extensively, copy pasting text between it and
Revolution.

I experience problems with the Rev IDE when I copy-paste text from MS
Excel into the IDE, on OS X. Like:

- script won't compile
- find and replace dialog won't find correctly
- answer dialog won't properly display text stored in a custom property

clipboard() just says "text". But most fields in the IDE seem to be
perfectly happy to accept extended or control characters in a
copy-paste operation, but that causes trouble later on.

What makes me think it's a bug with Rev:

If I delete the pasted text in the IDE, and then type the same text
directly into the IDE, then the problems go away. Also if I paste the
same text from Excel into Emacs, or into TextEdit.app, no control
characters or extended characters are shown. So even if Excel *is*
putting weird characters into the pasteboard, shouldn't Rev be able to
deal with it?

Are there any 3rd party apps I can use to clean up the text of what's
on the clipboard.

I guess I could write a smart pasteKey handler and try to insert it
into the message path before the IDE's pasteKey handler, but what a
pain to track this down.

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |
<http://mindlube.com>