[ANN] Photo Loader-Captioner

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Jan 8 22:30:53 EST 2004

This is pursuant to threads on photo galleries, previewing thumbnails,
etc.

Run

go  url "http://www.himalayanacademy.com/outgoing/rev/TAKA_Photos.rev"

in your message box to get a stack that:

1) inputs photos to cards
2) Creates a preview of the photos in a second stack
3) Offers option for a caption of each photo.
4) offers option to load "banners" (html chunks) that are in external
files that will be inserted above the photo in final output
5) outputs an html chunk for all photos and captions.
6) allows you to rename all the photos (and files on disk at the same
time)
7) you can use the preview to move photos around and the cards in the
main stack will be re-ordered accordingly.
8) allows you to insert photos from another folder, coping them to your
working folder directory.

Notes,
--excuse my xTalk which is "baby talk" but it works, mostly
--The directory to the banner's files is hard coded to our local server.
--the preview uses a text field, and you can insert the cursor, cut and
past photos around to different locations, add line breaks to make the
photos "wrap" etc.

--some of the html building and renaming code is "localized" for the
specific task at hand, which is the daily build of
www.gurudeva.org/index.shtml

But those items could be easily adjusted for your needs. The rest of it
should just work fine.

YET TO DO (and if you have any thoughts, they will be appreciated)

a) The photo previewer loads photos at the imported size... i need a
simple way to take them down to a max width or height of about 120
pixels. (that's arbitrary, I don't like to work with really "tiny"
thumbnails, but they could be even smaller)  It works fine on our 21
inch Cinema displays, but small screens could be challenging for the
user.
b) We will trim this project down to a simple import photos, write
captions, save captions as individual texts files, then FTP everything
to a remote server... this will be for correspondents in the field who
can contribute digital photos  to projects with captions attending them
without resorting to email

The preview photos in a text field is pretty cool, if I can just find a
way to dynamically make them smaller... and then revert them to full
size in the main stack ..... without double loading the data.

Note, that I've experienced a some of instability (recipe as yet not
clear) when imageSource of chars in a field are set to file on a remote
machine, when that machine off line or not mounted on the local system.
Rev can just lock up Max OS X completely if the link for the
imageSource is not available. The work around is to always clear this
field when the main stack is closed, then save. so that when the stack
is re-opened, Rev doesn't balk at trying to load imageSource data that
is not available.

all input welcome

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications