Rev, Panther and permissions

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Thu Jan 8 13:02:26 EST 2004

I have had an odd situation crop up in a Mac lab that is running
Panther 10.3.2 and Rev 2.1.2. Rev will not launch unless the current
user (usually 'macuser') is the owner of the rev folder and its
contents. (For unix-y types the permissions are -rwxrwxr-x with macuser
the owner and staff the group. And yes, I have set permissions
recursively throughout the entire Rev folder.) For any other user, the
administrator included, Rev starts to launch, but hangs at the splash
screen while the error dialog flashes rapidly behind it. I have to
force quit Rev to get out of this condition.

I have never had this problem before, so I checked another Mac that
still is running OS X 10.2.8 and Rev 2.1. It shows permissions of
-rwxrwxr-x with the administrative user as the owner and staff as the
group. Any user that is a member of the staff group can launch Rev
without problems.

Can anyone confirm this? Is there a fix?

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University