mail-list or BB or newsgroup

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jan 7 12:50:06 EST 2004

Bob Hartley wrote:

> One reason I nearly bought real basic instead of revolution was there is a
> real basic newsgroup. Revolution was my first choice but I like newsnet's
> open forum.

You almost bought a tool because of a protocol?  And I thought I was an NNTP
fan....  :)

But seriously, I hear you.

> I bought revolution and subscribed to the maillist, however, I cant help
> but think that some may be put off by not wanting lots of mails (note it
> didn't put me off).

The topic comes up here and on a great many lists I'm on from time to time
(even the SIG-CHI list), and while I like Usenet myself I'm always
outnumbered.

Reasons cited for this global transition from Usenet to discussion lists
include:

- a majority feel "push" is more convenient than "pull" (I feel differently,
but like I said I'm outnumbered)

- spam

- spam

- spam

- spam

Rev discussion has already diversified to include a number of other lists,
Yahoo Groups, etc. for specialized topic focus, so as its user base
continues to grow it would seem there could be room for specialization by
preferred venue type with a newsgroup as well.

Some folks use the comp.sys.,ac.hypercard newsgroup for Rev discussion,
mostly for reasons of historical language similarity, but a few HyperCard
purists get mad there when that happens and I don't think any Mac-specific
newsgroup is the best option for a tool whose greatest strength lies in
platform independence.

Mr. Chia: Is it time yet to consider setting up an NNTP server?  :)

Another option:  Any of the readers of this list have enough time on their
hands to make a Newswatcher-like UI for this list?  I'd happily add it to
RevNet.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation