Interfaces: PC and MAC and the screenGamma property...

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sun Jan 4 01:26:26 EST 2004

Alex,

I may be wrong but I seem to remember the first commercially available
24-bit displays being created for Mac, not PC. I believe it was SuperMac and
Radius who built them. My guess is they (and Apple) are probably the ones
who set on the gamma of 1.7.

Of course, when MS got into it all, they probably didn't check the Mac
gamma, or decided for some other reason to change the 'then standard' which
Mac had set. So, my thinking is that Apple didn't 'decide' to change the
standard, the PC folks did. Of course now the 'standard' is PC gamma.

This is only my suposition, based upon my experience at the time.

best,

Chipp