Serious applications

Ops ops at myesa.com
Wed Feb 25 11:34:34 EST 2004

A.C.T. wrote:
  <snip>
> You would always have to have
> developers that can "talk transcript", which is not as likely as finding
> professionals that speak C, C++, Java etc. pp. Personally I find it very
> hard to "learn" Transcript (being a stubborn Assembler/machine
> language/C/C++/Shellscript/PHP programmer that hasn't learned anything
> serious) and currently this might be the reason for me to not use
> Revolution at all

I am a C, C++ veteran and have coded many large projects through the
years.  I had my "hands around" Transcript in a few evenings and am
working on a "serious" project of which I had a fairly extensive demo
ready in a matter of a few weeks that would have taken 6 - 12 months to
code in C/C++...For me (as well as *many* others), Transcript was (by
far) the easiest environment/language to learn that I've ever
encountered in my 20+ year programming career.

> to me this is a question of productivity: I have to
> learn a language that does not give me any benefits over those I am
> already familiar with AND I would have to limit external developers to
> those being able to handle this language as well.

With all due respect, if you haven't taken the (short) time to
adequately familiarize yourself with Transcript, then IMHO you have
reached your conclusions without proper due-diligence.  Expose your
developers to Rev/Transcript and see that those that embrace it will
multiply their productivity by factors that will astound you...in a time
frame that will be equally astonishing...

I have NOT abandoned C/C++ (as well as other technologies).  I utilize
Revolution's externals ability when appropriate, and because of my own
productivity gains, have realized the futility of my past practices
where I have coded 100% of my projects in 3rd generation languages.

Just .02 from someone who took the time (a few evenings) to embrace
Rev/Transcript.  NO DISRESPECT intended by that statement Marc, just "a
fact" that I have experienced firsthand...I was skeptical too, and
astounded *myself* at what I've been accomplishing utilizing this new
programming model (Rev + externals).

Opie