start using

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Tue Feb 24 14:56:55 EST 2004

>What affect if any will changing the default directory and executing
>a "start using" have on the creation of a stand alone?  Is
>preOpenCard/start using dropped when a stand alone is built?

Kevin,

In some cases, the effective file path for a library may be different
from the point of view of your standalone than the path to the same
library from the point of view of the source stack.

The most obvious issue occurs in Mac OS X, where the elements of the
application bundle are inserted into the file path.

There are also issues in some Windows installations where the library
or modifiable stacks cannot reside in the same folder as the
application.

I deal with this with a file search handler that looks in multiple
locations (some platform dependent) to find the library stack.

Also, check out the specialFolderPath function, which allows one to
address a folder whose name is unknown.

preOpenCard, and any handler in your source script, is available to
your standalone EXCEPT logic to modify a script with more than
scriptLimits lines.

BTW, Kevin, in case you haven't noticed, your library routines are
not linked to your standalone: they are resolved a runtime.  If an
application design called for it, one could switch between different
library stacks at runtime to change application appearance (a library
can contain images & icons as well as handlers) and/or functionality.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company