what's in a name

Friedrich F. Grohmann shedrup at ms9.hinet.net
Tue Feb 24 06:39:32 EST 2004

I took a stack (approximately 5500 cards) and wrote a script which put
the contents of one of the fields (an average of two to three syllables)
into the name of each card. Saving the stack after this operation, I
realized that its size had mushroomed from 1.3 MB to 7.1 MB. Suspecting
corruption, I took another copy of the original stack and put instead the
number of the card into its name. The result was pretty much the same.

It might be a silly question, but why does it make such a huge difference
in terms of stack size if every card is identified by a unique name?

Fritz