Immediate/Compile Time Execution for

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Mon Feb 23 09:52:38 EST 2004

>if Runtime
>exposed a lower level API the xTalk,Transcript ... community could
>build language
>extensions.

Frank,

As a business applications programmer, I rarely have occasion to
program at the level you describe; so pardon me if I'm missing the
big picture.

* One can extend the language to recognize new commands by writing
handlers to perform the functionality and placing them in a library
stack or other script.

* One can extend the language to recognize new commands by writing
externals in C or another language and including the externals in a
library stack or other stack.

* One cannot write one's own version of a Transcript command with the
same name and place it in the message path ahead of the engine [just
tested this]

So it seems to me one can EXTEND Transcript functionality without too
much difficulty.  The problem arises when one tries to MODIFY
existing Transcript command functionality or add/change compiler
syntax..

Before I wrote a handler to resolve SDB field name references to the
correct record field at runtime, I gave some thought to writing a
script preprocessor  that would let the developer reference fields by
dataname in the Script Editor and convert the script text to change
references like "TYPE:dataName" to "item [fieldNumber] of TYPEBuffer
-- >TYPE:dataName<" before compiling and to convert the references
back when the developer reedits the script.

With such a preprocessor, you should be able to script "x=1" and have
the preprocessor convert that to "put 1 into x" and vice versa.

I run out of ideas that don't require cooperation from the Run Rev
team at this point.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company