Panther upgrade wrecks stack bindings

Jim Lyons jimlyons at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 20 15:59:12 EST 2004

Just about two minutes ago I wrote:

> I am not a happy camper today. After upgrading to Panther last night,
> and being disappointed by a number of other OT things, now
> double-clicking my stacks won't launch my latest version (2.1.2) of
> Revolution. (Dragging them to the Rev icon or opening from Rev still
> works fine.) After the upgrade, they launched the 2.0 version I still
> had in the applications folder instead. I tried resaving a stack under
> the new version, but double-clicking that stack still launched the old
> version. So I put the old version in the trash and tried it again.
> This time I got an "unexpected error" dialog and no launch at all.
> Then I tried control-clicking a stack and choosing Revolution 2.1 from
> the Open With... menu; that worked, so I quit and tried
> double-clicking again. Now it wants to start up the OS9 environment
> and launch the "fat" version of 2.1!
>
> I restarted the system hoping that would straighten things out. Well,
> now a few stacks have the normal Rev icon and do open 2.1 -- all of
> them are downloaded stacks. All the stacks I made and saved with 2.1
> (and a few other downloaded stacks) now have the "fat" icon and they
> want to run MacOSFat version under Classic when double-clicked.
> Aaaaargh!!!

How many times have you found the answer right after posting the
question? This is more than once for me...  Anyway, the solution was to
go to one of the stacks with the "fat" icon, do Get Info and change the
Open With... selector to Revolution, and then click the Change All
button. Even though the icons remained "fat", double-clicking now
launches my old friend Rev 2.1 under OS X. After restarting, the icons
resumed their normal appearance. Whew! Hope this saves someone else
some grief...

Jim Lyons