[OT] Cross Mac Platform Text Editing

Peter Reid preid at reidit.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 19 12:12:22 EST 2004

>When moving text files created or modified with TextEdit on Mac OS
>10.2 to Mac OS 9, I find no OS 9 text editing app that will open
>them, even those stored as plain text.
>
>How do other deal with this?  Is there a recommended cross Mac
>platform text editor?  [Preferably something without "Microsoft" in
>its pedigree.]
>
>Rob Cozens

I use free BBEdit Lite which, whilst being technically
"discontinued", is still available for download at:

    http://www.barebones.com/products/bblite/index.shtml

and works well with Mac OS Classic up to and including Mac OS 9.2.2
and also with Mac OS X from 10.1 to 10.3.2!

Of course, the full BBEdit is very good, but also expensive at $179.

I use TextPad on the PC, which costs a very reasonable $29, and can
be downloaded from:

    http://www.textpad.com/

BBEdit (Lite or Full) and TextPad cope well with Mac, PC and Unix text files.

Cheers

Peter
--
Peter Reid
Reid-IT Limited, Loughborough, Leics., UK
E-mail: preid at reidit.co.uk
         preid at reidit.demon.co.uk
         peter.reidit at ntlworld.com
Web: http://www.reidit.co.uk