[OT] Cross Mac Platform Text Editing

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Thu Feb 19 12:00:33 EST 2004

On Feb 19, 2004, at 8:53 AM, Rob Cozens wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> When moving text files created or modified with TextEdit on Mac OS
> 10.2 to Mac OS 9, I find no OS 9 text editing app that will open them,
> even those stored as plain text.

You sure you aren't creating RTF files with TextEdit?
Also, TextEdit has

> How do other deal with this?  Is there a recommended cross Mac
> platform text editor?  [Preferably something without "Microsoft" in
> its pedigree.]

A text file is a text file is a text file (except for line endings and
text encoding)

I use TextEdit occasionally, and never have problems opening the files
Unix or Windows text editors.

Maybe you are dealing with a file type issue and the apps you are
trying on Mac OS 9 are saying: "no text type in resource fork. eh!
bail."

--
Alex Rice | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com