Style: Select Grouped Controls

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Tue Feb 17 19:24:59 EST 2004

Dar,

I think of groups now as 'sharable' groups of controls. Now in creating
groups, I never have "Select Grouped Controls" on. I like to 'go' to a
group and only see the group and arrange things and build the group.
However, in placing the group next to or near other objects you can't
do this i.e. you need to see non group controls and group controls to
align them closely, visually. In that case I turn SGC on and arrange as
appropriate.

Secondly, once alignment and such is done and I am getting deeper into
the inner workings of my project I DON'T want to move any elements in
the group but DO want to select maybe one of them and change the script
of it or a property of it and so SGC on makes sense to me because it
saves a couple of steps in switching modes when all I want to do is
lock the text in that field or add a tooltip etc. This could be done
via the application browser BUT my project is usually over top of the
AB and so I'd rather just grab the object directly and make the change
I need.

When I have a lot of controls and some are hidden or overlapping etc.
Then I grab the AB and bring it to front and select the control in the
AB directly so I know there is no mistake. But I usually go back to my
project to double check it was the right one.

"Measure twice, Cut once"

Lastly, Once a group has been 'painstakingly' aligned and arranged I
usually lock the loc of each item in the group so I don't accidentally
move them during the rest of the creation process. I am also starting
to learn the keyboard shortcuts for pulling up the script or Property
Inspector. But due to a couple of bugs I don't yet trust the keyboard
equivalents.

FWIW

Tom