sounds/telephony

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Feb 17 01:50:54 EST 2004

On Monday, February 16, 2004, at 11:26 PM, Ken Norris wrote:

> I'm not getting that. Must be some kinda Windows thing, yes?

You did say Windows?

> I just want them to click on the number and it dials.

You need to know the com port for the modem.  Maybe some registry
expert has an idea on finding the modem.  Or you might use a control to
select it.  You can get a list from the registry or try opening a bunch
for read and make your list from that.

Typically a Windows computer will have serial ports com1: and com2: out
the back.  Sometimes an external modem will be connected to one of
those.  If a card is plugged in, then it is often com3:.  But it might
be something else.

As far as whether you use 'file' or 'driver', both will probably work.
You may also use '\\.\COM1' notation for driver.

If you feel confident that there is nothing else on other serial ports,
you can search for a modem.

Oh, the dummy command is just incase some noise got into the modem data
before or as you open the port.  I'm just paranoid.  You can leave that
off if you want.

Dar Scott