open file & read from file vs get URL

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Mon Feb 16 08:17:37 EST 2004

URL is simpler to use, as you don't need to care about mode or closing
the file again. This it is far simpler and more comfortable to use.
Examples:
put "another line" & return before URL "file:file/path/here/file.txt"
put empty into URL "file:textfile.txt"
get word 1 of line 2 of URL "file:source.txt"

The read-, open- and write-file commands don't put the whole file into
memory, so if your file's are huge, then that is an advantage (In so
far as I reckon that is the only advantage of these over URL)