sounds/telephony

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun Feb 15 17:30:03 EST 2004

On Sunday, February 15, 2004, at 02:25 PM, Ken Norris wrote:

> I understand modem AT commands, but I also know that voice modems are a
> rarity, so anything done this way means the phone must be held off the
> hook.

But dialing has nothing to do with it being a voice modem.  The modem
has to dial when making a data connection, too.

Maybe this operational procedure will work.

1.  The operator clicks a button to start a dial.
2.  When it is complete the operator picks up a handset or turns on a
headset.
3.  The modem waits a bit an hangs up, but the operator stays on.  (Or
the operator clicks something else.)
4.  Conversation.
5.  The operator hangs up or turns off the headset (effectively hanging
up).

All you need is the dialing for step 1.  Try the AT commands for that.

Off the top of my head:

on dial dNumber
   open driver "com3:" for update
   write "AT" & numToChar(13) to driver "com3:"-- dummy command
   write "ATDT & dNumber & numToChar(13) to driver "com3:"-- dial number
   send hangUp to me in 10 seconds
end dial

on hangUp
   write "ATH0" & numToChar(13) to driver "com3:"
   close driver "com3:"
end hangUp

You have to modify this to use the right com port.  You might like a
different way to hang up.  If you use an external modem you may need to
set up serialControlString.  Some modems are not exactly Hayes
compatible and you may need to fiddle with the line end.

Perhaps I am missing something in what you need.

Dar Scott