sounds/telephony

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Sun Feb 15 16:25:44 EST 2004

Hi Folks,

> Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:24:58 -0500
> From: Marian Petrides <mpetrides at earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: sounds

> The other site folks mentioned findsounds.com specifically has a caveat
> indicating that they make no promises re: copyright status of the files
> listed, so one probably needs to be careful what one uses from that
> site as well.
------------
I pulled a bunch of telephone dial tones off that site. I don't see how its
possible for them to be copyrighted, but you never know.

For our volunteer group, I'm trying to build a custom dialer for Windows in
Rev, but it's turning out to be a pain in the script. I must say I really
miss HyperCard's "dial" command. Any chance of getting that feature down the
road? I.e., a replacement for:

dial "1234567"
-- or
dial "1234567" with modem

Anyway, my question burns down to this:

How to dial a phone number in Windows from Rev:

A) Using the modem.

I found this:

on dial dNumber
  open file "modem:" for write
  write "ATDT" && dNumber to file "modem:" ## Does it need '& return'?
  close file "modem:"
end dial dNumber

B) Through the speakers, if that is the only other option.

I understand modem AT commands, but I also know that voice modems are a
rarity, so anything done this way means the phone must be held off the hook.
Still, using the modem to dial would still be much more convenient than
having to hold the receiver up to a speaker.

Mega T's IA,
Ken N.