Qt vs Revolution (NOT Apple Quicktime)

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Sun Feb 15 00:08:12 EST 2004

On Feb 14, 2004, at 1:37 PM, Christopher Mitchell wrote:

> Also, at least on my powerbook, apps compiled with Qt have a giveaway
> "buzz" or hum when i move a window or panel.  See
> http://psi.affinix.com/ and see if it does it for you.

I downloaded Psi, on Panther, I can't distinguish it from a Carbon or
Cocoa app. Seems perfectly normal even when moving windows. The widgets
look to be real Aqua widgets (not emulated)

> Also, as mentioned, this demonstrates how unMaclike the interface can
> be...
> It's pretty lame, and the pop up windows are all over the place.
> Later versions have been getting better but it's really kind of
> obnoxious so I use Fire instead for jabber.

Those are all GUI design issues, I think not flaws in the Qt toolkit
itself. I actually can't tell Psi.app from a Carbon or Cocoa app. I
would have no clue that it's built with xplatform C++. Except for that
9 MB!! library file in Contents/Frameworks/libqt-mt.3.dylib. 14MB
overall! That seems pretty big.

Opera the web browser is a Qt app (or press releases in 1999 said so
anyways)

If I were a C++ programmer, then Qt would be what I'd be using for a
GUI toolkit (if I could afford it).

--
Alex Rice | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com