Sticky palettes

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Feb 13 20:31:50 EST 2004

On 2/13/04 5:17 PM, "Ken Norris" <pixelbird at interisland.net> wrote:

> In SC there is a cool function called dragWindow wherein you can get one
> window (in this case a palette window) to stick to another window, i.e.,
> when you drag the one, the other sticks to it in the designated position.
>
> Its very convenient for 'docking' a palette window into another window.
>
> Is there such a function in Rev, and if so what is it?

Nope.

> If not, can I get a suggestion or two for an emulation of that function?

You can iteravely (is this a word?) cycle through all the windows you want
to "dock" and set their locations relative to the window being dragged.  Not
the best solution visually but possible.

Or...

Establish a mechanism whereby when one window is "docked" to another, you
physically resize/recreate the destination window to accommodate both its
own content and the content of the "dockee" window (and hide the original
"dockee").  Depending on your content, this could be a lot of work.

If you design a "master window" that takes into account all possible windows
that can be docked to it, and build it in advance, you may be able to simply
enable and disable at will groups of content in the master window that
represent the docked windows, if that makes sense.

Other folks may have alternate suggestions.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Development & Design