Exocet dreams

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Fri Feb 13 20:17:24 EST 2004

Ken,
On Feb 13, 2004, at 6:09 PM, Ken Norris wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
>> Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:59:00 -0500
>> From: Thomas McGrath III <3mcgrath at adelphia.net>
>> Subject: Re: Exocet dreams
>
>> 4.) Although very difficult and mostly out of your control there are
>> some drivers built in for simple control (serial keys, mouse keys)
> -----------
> Built into what? I don't see much USB control (game controller sockets)
Windows has a few drivers (one free from Aug Comm) and Macintosh has
Mousekeys. Almost all AAC devices can 'hook' up to these and perform
mouse movement and key selection (even single switches). And any
controller (game) will have it's own driver that can be captured for
selection and mouse movement. SO: instead of trying to make the device
do all of the work (although it can if you have that kind of access)
but rather make use of a limited method of input and make the software
handle the rest.
Think about a scanning mouse on the computer that can jump back and
forth between the desktop space and a palette of your own controls.
Then with a lot of if then's etc. use that to do your full access
system. I it's rawest form I only need one button with an up down state
to run the whole computer. Some things will take more time than we are
used to but it is doable.

The thing I see is that if they could only do two states Up and Down
(on and off) you could still use just that to do thousands of things.

> -----------
>> so if a switch exists it may have it's own driver and all you may
>> need is
>> two actions on/off to control most every thing.
> -----------
> Well, the single switch was just one example, sorry I made it look too
> exclusive.
But other devices have drivers that send simple commands just like the
mouse. Don't try and control the device but rather let the device
control your software. Every controller I have seen has a mouse mode
and a select button mode.

> Single switches can be handled relatively easy in several ways,
> including
> keyboard overlays. My current study is a SuperCard project which is
> designed
> to use a stick with only up and down and the trigger.
>
> I have several projects I've had to shove back because I can't setup
> controllers from within the software. I want the user to be able to
> adjust
> it themselves, meaning from the interface I've designed for them.
This of course would mean getting into the device and other than USB
overdrive I don't know of many other drivers with that kind of control.
You would have to get with the company and know so lower level computer
language to get in to their driver.

Have you played with MouseKeys on the MAC? Use it with a device or
stick.

Tom