Function output-a bug or a feature?

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Fri Feb 13 11:11:23 EST 2004

>Open the message box and call the new function:
>	put cube(3) -- works perfectly, the result is displayed in
>the message box.
>
>However, try putting the output of the function into the field:
>	put cube(3) into fld 1 -- the output goes into the message
>box, not the field.
>
>If you try this with a standard Transcript function:
>	put sqrt(4) into fld 1 -- works as expected, with output to the field.
>
>Has this always (not) worked like this? Have I just missed it all
>these years? I could swear I've done this successfully before.

Devin,

Don't know if it applies here, but I have had occasions where

	put someThing&&[someFunction reference]&&someThingElse into ...

had to be rewritten

	get [someFunction reference]
	put someThing&&it&&someThingElse into ...

to get the desired result.  Don't know why this is.

You might try:

	put (cube(3)) into fld 1

or
	put value(cube(3)) into fld 1