Mindstorms and Revolution.

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Feb 13 02:36:39 EST 2004

On Thursday, February 12, 2004, at 11:33 PM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> Come on Dar, you can't leave it at that :-)
> How do you do it. The last time I investigated, you either had to have
> some VB dll in Windows or a mini C compiler in Macs. While I realize
> one can communicate directly via serial ports, how do you use this to
> program &/or control the robots?

Look here for the low level commands:

   http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/

This hasn't been updated for a while, so you might want to save it some
place.  It might go away.  There are some detailed command entries at
that site.  You might find some better or confirming data.

Some folks download a new OS and interpreter.  Variations of Forth,
Java and C are are popular.

I'd consider doing this in three stages.  The right way to go might be
more obvious after tinkering.

1  Make something that sends and receives simple hex commands and test
tethered.  (See function rcx_send in the send.c example.)

2  Make commands and functions for control and sensing.  Do some
tethered projects with that.

3  Make a compiler from above plus program control to RCX commands.
Download those.  Turn the robot loose.

Dar Scott