OT: Village signing [was: RR as a browser plugin?]

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Thu Feb 12 19:52:48 EST 2004

on 2/12/04 4:14 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com at
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:30:26 -0500
> From: Thomas McGrath III <3mcgrath at adelphia.net>
> Subject: Re: OT: Village signing [was: RR as a browser plugin?]
>
> Or quicktime VR in object mode!!
> There was an old sample vr that showed a finger accessing a touchtone
> phone that came with Quicktime VR toolkit 1.0
> Maybe a bunch of image captures of the pieces(hand configurations) that
> make up a sign and then piece them together. Of course I just thought
> about the arm movements.... darn... Well you might be able to do that
> too. I would weigh that against the video method and see which would
> take more time/money/effort.
------------
Yes, I already thought of that, but I think a set of animation parts might
work better than QTVR.

However, I thought VR would be better for viewing the signs from a different
angle, i.e, a QTVR movie could swing around and show the sign from the
signer's point of view instead of the "audience" (if you will) point of
view, which is the most common way of presenting the material, but doesn't
show formation from the side the signer sees it.

Otherwise, I came to the conclusion that just making video clips of a few
carefully articulated signs as time is available made more sense. Unless
someone comes up with funding to do it fulltime until the project is
finished.

The _big_ difference with writing it in Rev is, of course, interactivity,
which is next to useless on a straight video DVD, and totally useless on
tape.

You can go to any letter, word, phrase, or sentence, and replay the clip as
often as you like while practicing.

In fact, perhaps I could get with the producers of current video-based
instructional tapes and coax them into a deal to capture the video in clips
then go from there.

Off to the library...

Ken N.