10 bugs in 2 minutes time!

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Thu Feb 12 03:14:54 EST 2004

> - It does take more time per bug.
> - Last time I spend 2 hours entering a nice description for just 3 bugs
> and all got lost.

I spend that much time posting to this list every week. I'm sorry you
lost 2 hours, but you did it as part of the process of getting your
individual bug reports submitted. Not such a bad deal.

> NEVER AGAIN.
>
> Im doing this on my personal time and money investment and it's not
> worth
> my time
> or ROI. I know this is not the right thing to do but Im wasting enough
> time working
> around bugs that shouldn't be there. When these get solved, and the
> IDE is
> smooth
> I'll consider it...

Then you should have evaluated the latest version of Rev before
choosing it for a valuable project. It is not always wise to use the
latest version of everything if your money is on the line. If you are
so certain that the old Metacard IDE is better, use it.

I sympathize with wasting time on your own penny. But in a community
where many people spend hours every week contributing and helping and
bug hunting, to sound off about your 2 hours in BugZilla and your 1 day
slippage in releasing a stack, it rings very hollow with me. I'm sure
in your Supercard and HC days, you lost a day somewhere when your
stacks got corrupted, for example. Rev ain't perfect, but you can't
shake a stick at it's productivity just because you found some geometry
bugs.

> As for our enterprise license, I dare not put RR in our production
> network! It's that bad!

Because the IDE has bugs? The engine is identical to MetaCard's.
If geometry manager is your headache, maybe it's not ready for your
needs. And maybe there are more workarounds. And maybe the bugs would
be fixed by now if you hadn't been too stubborn to re-enter them in
BugZilla a long time ago.

> There would be twice as many issues which I dont have in MC. It's been
> running so
> smoothly for the past 2 years that Scott has heard from me once (partly
> thanks to my
> own script editor)! ;)

Then why don't you either stick with what was working, or actually help
make Rev better in a constructive fashion?

> I feel like everyday is a battle to get things working in RR... I like
> the
> features but
> I dont appreciate it's quality.

Then join the process of helping improve it. That's a pretty unique
empowerment that you won't find with many major tools.
If you don't have time to contribute to the community, why should it
jump to support you above and beyond others?

- Brian