OT: Village signing [was: RR as a browser plugin?]

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Feb 11 21:07:01 EST 2004

On 2/11/04 5:54 PM, HyperChris at aol.com wrote:

> The village people would sign songs about us

Not to beat a dead horse, but I have to add: In a previous incarnation I
was a sign language interpreter. I have actually done this.

Off topic: We have a Renaissance Festival here, and one weekend they
provided sign interpreters. I had to interpret a group of fishwives
singing Ye Bawdy Olde English Drinking Songs -- one of which was
entitled, and reiterated many times, "my husband has no courage in him."

There is really no legitimate sign for that. I chose to use a gradually
drooping index finger. The entire audience, both hearing and deaf, never
took their eyes off me for the whole performance. The singers were torn
between being miffed at the lack of attention paid to them, and elated
that they had never had so many laughs during any previous performance.
Eventually they asked if I wanted to come back and do it again the next
weekend.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com