Is Transcript's English orientation a plus or minus? (rather long)

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Wed Feb 11 15:07:14 EST 2004

>> - do you really think that the current Rev / MC IDEs allow us to
>> maintain &
>> debug scripts with hundreds or thousands of lines ? Of course not...
>> But
>
> Salut, JB,
>
> And my I say that I agree wholehearted with every word you
> wrote...until you ended with the statements I included above:
>
> 1.  The stack script of Serendipity Library has 4,566 lines as of the
> latest update.

Ditto here. I have a commercial application condensed into one big
8,000+ line script. Rev doesn't seem to have any trouble with it. It
runs without error for months at a time. It also uses sockets for all
of it's communications (it's a web app). Runs under Rev 2.0, often with
5+ copies running on an XServe.

For large scripts, I usually:

1) Break them into smaller scripts (duh- but sometimes an advantage,
sometimes not)
2) Put my own marker functions in (i.e. an empty function
"UTILITY_FUNCTIONS" before all of my utility functions)

That's about it. They seem to work fine... I've even edited them
through a b&w Timbuktu session, while the software was running, with
the debugger.

I'm sure there could be problems I haven't seen, but it seems pretty
capable to me.

FWIW.

Brian