Drop into C (Was Is Transcript's English...)

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Feb 11 12:53:08 EST 2004

On Wednesday, February 11, 2004, at 08:44 AM, xbury.cs at clearstream.com
wrote:

> although a C and asm compiler would be nice,
> C has this nice feature for other language usage...
> on mouseup
> c{
>    do some c code real fast ;
>   asm{
>     do some assembler code at warpspeed;
>   }
> }
> See? No need for those overcomplicated externals... ;)

Most of the time, I don't use an external for speed, but to get at
something I can't get to otherwise.  I need to build to a particular
environment.  This usually means pulling in some headers and sometimes
means linking in other code or other things.  Externals are built with
tools designed for a particular environment.  For much of what I do,
this issue would have to be addressed in the above method.

I have making new externals down to a formula for a couple
environments.  I have some helper routines, too.  This is a good
candidate for wizards.  So an alternative to the above method is a fast
way to get into externals.

Since compiling is part of runtime, the issue of a bloated application
would have to be addressed.  Each app would have to contain a c/asm
compiler.

Since Revolution is multi-platform, this would have to be addressed.

Besides, I paid my dues to join the Externals Club, why shouldn't
everybody else?  ;-)

I would also like to use Forth.  :-)

I hope folks who use this would hide such code down in libraries or
some place.

Given all that, I must say I like the concept in the abstract and hope
there comes a way to do some of this kind of thing.  I'm glad you
mentioned it, Xavier.  Maybe it can start out for speed optimization
only on certain platforms.

Dar Scott