Is Transcript's English orientation a plus or minus?

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Feb 10 22:54:09 EST 2004

>On Tuesday, February 10, 2004, at 07:05 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:
>
>>While I can't say I've pushed the engine as hard as the combined talent of
>>this list, in my experience the engine's performance has been exceptional.
>
>I find this interesting.  And frustrating.
>
>When the general assumption among the community is that the engine
>is perfect, then bug reports are considered spurious.
>
>When I first started using Revolution two years ago, I assumed bugs
>would be fixed quickly.  This was a stupid and costly error on my
>part.  The roadblock I hit was the logic that Metacard is perfect,
>therefore the bug reports are wrong.  One crucial bug took over 7
>months to fix.  There were a handful of sockets bugs and yet folks
>were blindly using Revolution for all kinds of Internet apps. (The
>open process bugs are a mess and I don't even bother to report those
>any more.)  Did folks see my bugs and wonder whether that would
>affect their internet apps?  I didn't see it.  I suggested to one
>person his problems might be related to mine and his went away after
>mine were fixed and he shrugged it off.  Another complained that
>libURL was flakey.  Well, duh!
>
>The best way to make the engine rock-solid is to knock over the idol.
>
>Dar Scott

Nobody said perfect. Rock-solid does not mean bug-free. No program
that has some complexity ever is. But MetaCard crashed barely ever (I
found a couple ways to crash it but I was pushing it), most features
worked as expected, and bugs were addressed in a reasonable time. I
don't think we are trying to idealize/idolize MC. It was not perfect.
But we want Rev to reach its level and better.

One significantly different thing about Rev is that not all
features/functionality are implemented in the engine. And Rev team
added a whole bunch of new stuff on top or next to the old stuff
(when the two were developed in parallel). And Rev's IDE is so much
more complex and introduces a number of kinks and funky behaviors
that go away when it is turned off.

Robert