Is Transcript's English orientation a plus or minus?

revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Tue Feb 10 13:12:40 EST 2004

Frank wrote

This isn't an either or proposition.  Adding support
for "x = 1" would have no impact on the RR IDE. It would have no impact
on your ability to use "put 1 into x" all you want.  It would have no
impact on you, or anyone else using RR today.  But it would make my
life easier.  And, I believe, it would make RR an easier sell into
organizations staffed by professional programmers and
computer-scientists.

Thanks for listening.
<<

Thanks for bringing up this idea.  Rev is one of the most enjoyable forms
of programming I have done in 20 years, but I appreciate you bringing up
these suggestions.  It has been an interesting discussion.

Whilst I (mostly) would not use the c-like syntax, if it can be added
without causing confusion, then I think you are right that it would help
to provide a familiar 'handle' to those used to the c-like languages.

If Rev is always aimed at being accessible to beginning programmers as a
foundational principle, I think it is going to be regarded as
un-professional by IT departments.

One thing I liked in a competing product I looked at a few years ago (I
can't remember the name now) was that the menu of the IDE had an option
for selecting the complexity of the view - something like 'simple',
'detailed', 'advanced'.  As it started up in 'simple' mode, it was very
easy to get an initial overview without being overwhelmed.  Once I had
grasped the essence of what it could do, I could change the complexity of
the IDE to increase my understanding - moving up the complexity levels
revealed its power.  I think if Metacard had had this facility 5 years
ago, I would have used it 4 years earlier :-)

Whenever one is learning a powerful and complex new environment, I think
it is advantageous to be able to start it in 'simple mode', and let the
user switch to the level that they feel comfortable with.  Professionals
could start it up, select 'advanced' to see a complex environment.  Maybe
the docs could also be sensitive to the complexity level and provide
c-syntax.

Just my 2pence

Bernard.