version control system (was mission critical apps)

revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Tue Feb 10 13:12:32 EST 2004

Wouter wrote

How is this version control supposed to work?
If an xml file is used to store the "ripped" stack then opening the
stack files
directly for a binary read and storing it in a custom properties could
also be an option?
<<

I'm sorry Wouter, but I don't understand your question.  Could you
elaborate?

My idea is that all the components of a stack would be converted to XML so
that e.g. grepping/formatting/XML tools could be used to edit/manipulate
the components outside of Rev.  Moreover, the components should be able to
be selectively re-applied from the VCS e.g. you could go to the VCS and
browse to a version of a stack from last week, find the component, and
revert to the code for that component.

Indeed, as more and more data sources are exposing XML interfaces, I'm as
interested in the principle of being to generate stacks from XML as I am
in saving stacks as XML.

Bernard