mission critical apps

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Tue Feb 10 03:50:05 EST 2004

For the most part, this is _the_ icky part about version control.

When it comes to CVS, it will attempt to merge their changes, using
some sort of line-by-line analysis of their code. If they each
manipulated different functions, for example, they are in the clear. If
their changes overlap, they end up having to reconcile, they curse each
other out, and learn to do a better job of checkin / checkout. There
are a bunch of options in different systems, but in the end none of
them replace good project management, and nothing can do a magical
merge.

Your system worked down to an object/script level might not be all that
far away from rudimentary CVS.

99% of VC is more intimidating than complicated, IMO.

If nothing else, if one of the goals here (which I'm on the fence
about, actually) is to win over the enterprise / "professional" market,
adding a per-object / per-script versioning tool natively into the IDE
might impress a few people.

Is there any RAD tool out there that does version control now???

- Brian