Is Transcript's English orientation a plus or minus?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Feb 9 20:33:02 EST 2004

Frank Leahy wrote:

> And my bet still stands -- I'm willing to bet $20 that the code to
> parse "x = 1" is already in place, but commented out in the RR engine
> for historical reasons.

You may have just lost $20: "=" is already an operator in Transcript (used
as in Pascal, for comparison).

When cavemen first invented programming languages, the big moment of d'oh!
was after they'd proudly implemted "=" as an assignment operator only to
realize they'd forgotten comparison.  Rather than check their premise, they
went the other direction and required two characters, since all the cool
single-character operators had been used.   So now "equals" means "put" and
"put put" means "equals".

:)

--
 Richard Gaskin