mission critical apps; was Re: cross platform ide

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Mon Feb 9 16:41:01 EST 2004

On Feb 9, 2004, at 2:26 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> My first mission critical app was written in SuperCard! It was a
> Jumbotron display controller for the NBA called "JIVES" and it
> controlled the big screen TV's for NBA teams.

That's a great example. Case study material.

> Talking with my C programmer partner Chris, he mentioned that the
> same messaging path problems are found in Delphi and VB as well
> with variants of C including C#. So, how does MS and Borland sell
> their products into mission critical enterprise environments?

By bullsh1t-power, with raw marketing $.

> If you can believe it, the thing ran on a Mac -- and still didn't
> crash.

I guess it must have been locked in a closet where nobody could run
other apps on the Mac during ball games.

> He also stated the big problem with message paths is when the
> message chain gets full and then things get lost.

Message chain gets full and then things get lost? Ouch. That's no
confidence builder.

play " ka-ching !"
answer info "Out of space in message chain; insert coin to continue."
titled \
	"Oh &*^$"

>  You
> asked how to sell xTalks in corporate environments. Sell it as a
> PROTOTYPE tool.

OK point taken.

> Well, the Homeland Security App has the safety of data at stake.
> Hemingway has the safety of an individuals website at stake --
> along with the possible loss of revenue from a website being
> down/hacked. The last product is a realestate web application,
> with similar concerns.

Thanks for the counter examples.

--
Alex Rice | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com