mission critical apps; was Re: cross platform ide

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Mon Feb 9 13:06:34 EST 2004

>I sense you feel threatened by this thread because SDB and libIPC
>are geared towards a more business like, maybe mission-critical
>applications?

Sorry if it comes off looking that way, Alex.  As IS manager for
several corporate & governmental organizations, I did my home work
and provided senior management with persuasive arguments for my
choice of programming platforms.  I am totally comfortable with my
selection of Revolution as my platform of choice for the kinds of
software I produce, and am willing to discuss comparisons
point-by-point to the extent that my knowledge allows.

Frankly, there's a part of me that feels, the fewer developers that
appreciate Revolution, the fewer serious competitors I'll have.  For
a decade & a half I made a living supporting FlexWare accounting
installations.  Ever hear of FlexWare?  Neither had most of the folks
who bought it until they were shown what it could do for them.
Virtually none of them understood the internals of FlexWare or cared
(none ever asked) if the FlexWare db was relational or SQL
compatible.  (FYI we're dealing here with mom & pop businesses to
corporations with revenues < $ 1 billion to governmental agencies
like Port of Vancouver USA & the Canadian Public Health Association.)

But I am saying:

1.  If you have reliability concerns, check with the MetaCard community

2.  If you cannot become comfortable with message passing, you will
always be uncomfortable with any flavor of X-Talk.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company