REV and multimedia

Ian Wood ian at azurevision.co.uk
Mon Feb 9 13:11:33 EST 2004

Stephen Quinn Barncard wrote:

> Why this big negative about using Apple technologies? Quicktime works
> well, and is free. All this Applephobia is getting really dumb. Does
> Sony think they will sell more videocams because they call Firewire
> iLink, even though Apple created it?

The FireWire name is a registered trademark of Apple, and until
mid-2002 you had to pay Apple if you wanted to use the name.  You no
longer have to pay, but you do need a free licence.  This is standard
tactics for Apple, they make their technology available to others, but
you usually have to pay for it in some way...  Maybe this is why Sony
used the name iLink?
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/may/29firewireTA.html

Alex Rice wrote:

> Quicktime is not available for Linux. Quicktime for Windows is a 16MB
> download.
> For a shareware developer to require users to make a 16MB download
> could be a problem.

I's actually 11MB, but the principle still applies.  There is a
shareware program that gets the QT browser plugin working on Linux, but
ONLY the browser plugin.  And why should Linux users be penalised by
spending $25 to get half the functionality that Win & Mac users get for
free.  Until there is a QT for Linux I don't really regard it as truly
cross-platform, even though it is my main development area.

My two Eurocents,

Ian Wood