REV and multimedia

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Mon Feb 9 12:46:54 EST 2004

Hi all,

> On Feb 9, 2004, at 10:24 AM, Stephen Quinn Barncard wrote:
>
>> Why this big negative about using Apple technologies? Quicktime works
>> well, and is free.
> Quicktime is not available for Linux.

That's sad but true :-(

But there might be light at the end of the tunnel :-)

This is from http://www.macosrumors.com/
(ok, it's a rumour, but sounds pretty cool ;-):

> Tuesday, February 3
>
> Apple's 10.4 "Linux initiative" could work both ways. Today's crop of
> new reports on
> this topic not only provide considerable confirmation that Apple is
> indeed pondering
> a "Linux adoption" move, but hint at an angle we haven't covered
> yet.It has been
> suggested that Apple could gain quite a bit of attention and support
> from the
> GNU/Linux/OSS communities by porting more of its key pieces of
> software to
> Linux: Xcode, Rendezvous, QuickTime, iTunes, and iChat have all been
> mentioned. More on this later in the week as we continue to analyze
> this
> particularly tantalizing line of inquiry....

> Quicktime for Windows is a 16MB download.
> For a shareware developer to require users to make a 16MB download
> could be a problem.

 From the Apple QT page:

> QuickTime 5 was downloaded over 100 million times by both Windows and
> Mac customers
> in its first year. And QuickTime 6 is even more popular, reaching 175
> million downloads in
> less than 18 months. Every day, more than 300,000 people download
> QuickTime...

So, where the heck are these millions of users?

I know people who ARE having trouble installing QT, but in all of the
cases (i have seen!)
they were running win98/SE/ME and the system was totally due to a
re-installation!!!

So in general, there are no reasons to not install QT on your pc...

But maybe someone should write a "libMCI" though :-D

> Alex Rice | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com

Regards

Klaus Major
klaus at major-k.de