Would you have written it in time? was Re: mission critical apps

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Mon Feb 9 11:56:38 EST 2004

On Feb 9, 2004, at 2:11 AM, Ian Wood wrote:
> How many programs have you all written quickly in Revolution that
> would have taken much too long with another tool/language?

Like I said to Chipp: Don't appeal to programmer productivity. I
already know runrev is the most productive tool for me. That's not the
issue. I asked: "How are you going to sell xtalks in a corporate
environment where reliability and correctness is _more important than
programmer productivity_ ?"

> The only advantage of Cocoa would have been the ability to output a
> video file rather than a folder full of single images.

Cocoa (Objective-C) also uses the smalltalk messaging model (messages
can fail at runtime) So in this thread I lump objective-c together with
smalltalk and xtalk.

Since you bring it up: I am a Cocoa programmer also. Cocoa is an
incredibly rich application framework. In just a few lines of code you
can create an app with a multi-document architecture, complete with
multiple document windows and all the machinery for your "file menu":
new/open/save/save as. I wrote Slacker ToDo Lists in Cocoa. Originally
it was written in RealBasic. I trashed that version and rewrote it from
Scratch in Cocoa. It's a MacOS X only app. A lot of the features would
have been impossible to implement in runrev. But it's a niche app: Mac
OS X only. Was never intended to be xplatform.

--
Alex Rice | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com