Bug Database Changes Completed - PLEASE READ!

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Feb 9 02:43:43 EST 2004

> > Here's the workflow for the new system:
> >        2c-ii) If it cannot be reproduced, a comment is added to the
> >                bug to ask the original submitter if they can come
> >                up with another recipe (since we couldn't reproduce
> >                it) and the status remains PENDING. If we ever *can*
> >                reproduce it, we act as (2c-i) above. If we can
> >                *never* reproduce it, we change the status to
> >                RESOLVED and the resolution to CANT_REPRODUCE. The
> >                Target Milestone is then set to the targetted
> >                release version.
>
> What time period elapses before it's decided to change to
> CANT_REPRODUCE. What should happen if it's changed to CANT_REPRODUCE
> while the user is still trying to come up with a recipe that
> works for
> the engineers? A too quick CANT_REPRODUCE could really push someone
> over the brink if they are going insane over a bug.

The time period varies. It depends on how many back-and-forths it takes
to finally determine that we can't reproduce it. The main approach is
that a user submits the bug with a clear recipe. We run the recipe and
can't reproduce it, and ask for more info or a different recipe. The
user submits additional/alternate data, and we try again. Eventually we
will say: "we still can't reproduce it", and then on mutual agreement
(most likely) we'll change it to CANT_REPRODUCE.

> > 3) Bugs marked NEW are reviewed by the person to whom they were
> >    assigned. If the assignee feels that they are the right person to
> >    fix the bug, they change the status of the bug to ASSIGNED. If
> >    the assignee feels they are *not* the right person to fix the
> >    bug, the status is left as NEW, but the bug is reassigned to
> >    someone else, and the new assignee does the same review.
>
> So when a bug is NEW, then it is actually "tentatively assigned", and
> an engineer is looking at it? When it's accepted by the engineer then
> it's declared ASSIGNED?

Yes. IMHO this is backwards in my way of thinking, but that's the
process that Bugzilla uses, so we just wanted to make sure everyone ELSE
knew how it worked... :-)

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com