Is Transcript's English orientation a plus or minus?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun Feb 8 21:53:31 EST 2004

on soapbox

On Sunday, February 8, 2004, at 07:29 PM, Frank Leahy wrote:

> >Removing exceptions can simplify xTalk and enhance its power.
>
> You mean try/catch/end try?  It might simplify things, but it sure
> won't enhance anybody's power.  There are numerous places that common
> functions can fail in xTalk (e.g. set the fileName of an image to an
> alias file -- oops)  Since xTalk has no consistent failure reporting
> mechanism, exceptions are really the only reasonable way to handle
> exceptional conditions without having tons of if statements littered
> throughout your code. (What, you mean you don't handle error
> conditions?  Shame on you :-)

My error.  Wrong word.

I mean all the places where the semantics has an "except" or "but not"
or "is limited to" or "must already" or similar.

For example, a key in an array cannot contain a NUL character.  Also,
the second delimiter of combine cannot be NUL.  (The TD also disallows
others.)

Can I use an expression for a property name?  Is the answer yes, no or
'um, that's a little complicated'?

I do use 'try', even though I write perfect code.  ;-)  Of 'catch' and
'finally' can you remember which ones are optional and which ones are
required?

You can use an array variable as an parameter in a function
application.  You can even return it as the value of the function if it
is put directly into a variable.  But you cannot return an array from a
function application that is an expression that is a parameter for
another function.  eg:  put fixArray( fixArray( arrayX ) ) into arrayY

If I 'put 2 into x', the variable x might be made for me, but
matchText() and decodeBinary() (according to the TD) need the variables
to be already created.

This goes on and on.

Dar Scott

end soapbox