Is Transcript's English orientation a plus or minus? (was Andy'scomments and positioning...)

Kjetil Rå Hauge k.r.hauge at east.uio.no
Sun Feb 8 18:26:13 EST 2004

>On 2/9/04 8:02 AM, "Dar Scott" <dsc at swcp.com> wrote:
>I was wonder that myself. If you were going to write for, say, Japanese
>users, instead of
>
>set the a of b to c
>
>you would say
>
>b no a wo c ni settei
>
>The grammar is practically opposite.
>
>It would be nice to also support a JavaScript-like:
>
>b.a = c
>
>notation

Fascinating. Let's compare with Turkish:

>set the a of b to c

Japanese:

>b no a wo c ni settei

Turkish:

b'nžn a'sž c olacak/olur/olmalž/olsun -- or whatever

>It would be nice to also support a JavaScript-like:

b.a = c

... while the Turkish would support

b.a c =

.. which is, if I am not mistaken, reminiscent of
"Polish notation" in logics. Applescript already
has  French  and Japanese variants of its
English-like syntax, I believe. But would it make
learning easier for Japanese and Turkish
programmers if the programming language syntax
was closer to the constituent order (aka word
order) of their native language? I am not sure.
Most Germans write English quite well without the
verb at the end of the sentence to put, don't
they?
--
--- Kjetil Rå Hauge, U. of Oslo. Tel. +47/22856710, fax +47/22854140
--- (this msg sent from home, +47/67148424, fax +1/5084372444)