Andy's comments and positioning...

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Sun Feb 8 18:20:08 EST 2004

On Sunday, February 8, 2004, at 10:58  PM,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> On Sunday, February 8, 2004, at 01:15 PM, Frank Leahy wrote:
>
>> x = y + z (instead of put y + z into x)
>> x += 1 (instead of add 1 to x)
>> x.myProperty = foo (instead of set myProperty of x to foo)
>>
>> Not supporting these standard statements make the language look a bit
>> "beginner-ish".
>
> I disagree.  This is archaic C syntax.  The '=' runs foul to math
> syntax.  C has been the ball and chain of programming language
> development and we should not willingly adopt its syntax.

x = y + z has nothing to do with C, it's standard mathematics notation.
Every language that I've ever used, C, C++, Java, Eiffel, Perl, VB,
ASP, PHP, Lingo -- with the singular exception of xTalk -- uses x = y +
z instead of "put".

 >Good grief...you're asking them to rewrite the parser for
 >appearances? Wouldn't that add another layer of abstraction and slow
 >it down? I think there are far more important issues than to make the
 >language "look" like Basic and C.

Adding support for this syntax would require minimal changes to the
parser (and if they're using something like YACC, no changes to the
parser as they'll simply change the grammar input).  It will have zero
impact on performance.

-- Frank